Exal Group was acquired by Stonebridge Partners Equity Fund IV in April 2010 in partnership with Teachers Private Capital (TPC), a division of Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan. Founded in 1993 in Youngstown, Ohio, Exal was the recognized leader in specialty aluminum can manufacturing, possessing the most technologically advanced production capabilities in the world. The company primarily served the personal care and beverage markets with seven plants strategically located in the United States and Latin America. With $275 million of invested capital, it had grown to over $400 million in revenues, employed over 1,300 people, ran 47 production lines, and produced 1.3 billion shaped aluminum cans globally.
As of October 2019, Exal has combined with the Food & Specialty Metal Packaging division of Ardagh Group to form Trivium Packaging. The combination will create one of the largest metal packaging companies in the world, bringing together Ardagh’s leading position in tin-plate steel packaging with Exal’s leadership in aluminum packaging. Trivium will be headquartered in the Netherlands and will operate 57 production facilities across Europe and the Americas and employ nearly 8,000 people. On a combined basis, the company generated revenues of $2.7 billion for the last twelve months ended March 31, 2019.
Michael Mapes, Exal’s former CEO, will serve as Trivium’s CEO and will lead an experienced team coming from both previous businesses. Ardagh Group will hold a 43% stake in Trivium; the remaining 57% will be controlled by Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan and Stonebridge Partners.
For more information please visit: https://triviumpackaging.com/